The full pattern is now available in one post! Check it out here.
Pffew… It took some time to finish this (in my defense: huge) blanket, the first blogpost dates back to the 16th of July last year! So you can imagine my relief when I finally darned in those last ends. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed making this blanket but in the end I really felt like finishing it (badly). After the main part was done I worked a couple of nights on a border. And ripped it out again. And worked on it, and ripped it out again. So frustrating, but everytime the border didn’t look right! It was difficult to decide, because the border would be all grey (as most of the colours have been used in the blanket already) I couldn’t rely on colours to make it pretty, but every time I tried something fancy or intricate it just looked like it was too much. So in the end I decided to go with something REALLY basic; a few rows of HDCs.
Not a fancy way to end a project, eh? But I think it was the right choice. Maybe, just maybe I’ll ad a row of crab stitches, but since the edge is completely grey, I don’t know if it will even be noticed. So for now, this is it! And honestly, it was a very easy way to finish. In order to make an intricate border, you have to have a certain amount of stitches. But now, with all the improvising going on, I noticed that one half of the blanket had 10 HDCs more compared to the other. Nothing to worry about and certainly nothing that you’ll see in the end-result, except when you’re following a pattern. So to prevent myself from going crazy I just kept it simple. Im sorry for this horrible distorted picture, but this was the only way I could display the entire range of stitches used. As you can see the edge is a little bit wobbly, but that comes with using so many different patterns I guess! I’m going to block this blanket when I have the time, but I still have to get the floorboard to make this on (as a kid I remembered playing with huge foam puzzle floorboards… Turned out they were still in the attic somewhere). Much better! I really like the bubble rows. I’m certainly going to use this in future projects! The final rows of the pattern: 178: approx. 240 HDC on each side in Grey. 2x 2 HDC in corner stitches. 179: HDC in every stitch in Grey (try to get all the sides approx. the same amount of stitches, even if that means increasing or decreasing a little bit). 180: HDC around in Grey. This will camouflage the smuggling in row 179. So being a sampler blanket and all, I learned quite a couple valuable lessons about stitches that I never used (and some will never use again like this!). A small excerpt:
- A larkfoot stitch doesn’t work up very well with a 6.0 mm hook.
- Neither does the catherine wheel, this just requires a smaller hook. However, it is nice and supple like this. But when you look up closer, you don’t see the pattern so clearly as you can see for example here.
- I found out I always made a bobble stitch the wrong way. Not the bobble stitches with space in between, but the rows of bobble stitches -Moesjes, in Dutch-. Now I learned the proper way!
- Bobble rows in different colours (i.e., the bobbles in different colours compared to the background) don’t mix with HDC’s and a 6.0 mm hook. The space between the stitches is too wide and therefore you can see the strand of bobble-colour worked inside the HDC’s (check out this update on the sampler blanket and you’ll see what I mean!)
- Grey works fabulously well to make a blanket which includes pretty much all colours still look sort of balanced and not like a fancy fair.
I’m going to work on a pattern soon. It’s actually not much of a pattern, but more a collection of the rows I’ve made. O fcourse it will be published here when I’m done. It might take a while, because there are a few parts of the blanket in which I just winged it or followed a pattern that I haven’t released yet (still planning to, never found the time though).
And last but not least, some statistics about this blanket:
Started: July 2013.
Finished: May 2014.
Yarn used:Stylecraft special DK.
Colours: Pretty much every colour! Perfect scrap blanket.
Crochet needle: 6.0 mm.
Weight: 1402 gram. This equals to about 4130 meters of yarn!
Stitchcount: well, let’s assume there are 240 stitches in every row. I’ve made 180 rows (edge included). This amounts to 43.200 stitches.
Size: 1.80 x 1.80 m.