Feather and Fan Shawl28.Jul.16 / Kirsten Ballering
The Feather & Fan shawl is a modern take on the traditional pattern. The used colours are bright and bold, and the lace structure of the used stitch repeat creates a beautiful drape. The pattern is suitable for everybody who likes the challenge of working with laceweight yarn. The pattern is written in US terms.
- Colour A: 666 Merengue x 2 balls
- Colour B: 668 Disco x 2 balls
- Colour C: 662 Paso x 2 balls
- Colour D: 651 Quickstep x 2 balls
Shop the yarn
You can get Alpaca Rhythm via Scheepjes retailers, such as:
3.5mm (US Size E/4).
The shawl is 68cm wide and 160cm in length after blocking (27 by 63in).
One blocked fan repeat measures 7cm in width and 2cm in height (2.7 by 0.8in).
- The 18 rows per colours used in the pattern make the most use of the yardage on your skein (I had literally 5m of each colour left). However, if you have a gauge that’s different and you end up using more yarn for the shawl, you might want to reduce this to 17 rows per colour to ensure you have the same amount of row repeats in all colours.
- I’ve used stitch markers to help keep track of what every centre of a fan repeat is.
- ch: chain
- hdc: half double crochet
- st(s): stitch(es)
- ss: slip stitch
- tr: treble crochet
- *….; rep from * once/twice/3x Crochet the instructions after * and then repeat that section a further number of times as indicated.
- (…) once/twice/3x Crochet the instructions between brackets the total number of times indicated.
- […] Indicates the amount of stitches at the end of a row or round.
Start with Colour A, ch152.
Row 1 Starting in third ch from hook, 150hdc, turn. [150 sts]
Row 2 Ch4 (counts as first tr), 3tr in same st, 1tr in next st, (skip 1 st, 1tr) 6 times, 4tr in next st, *4tr in next st, 1tr, (skip 1 st, 1tr) 6 times, 4tr in next st; repeat from * another 8 times, ch2, turn.
Row 3 1hdc in each st, turn.
Repeat Rows 2-3 17 times. Cut yarn.
Join Colour B with a ss. Repeat Rows 2-3 18 times. Cut yarn.
Join Colour C with a ss. Repeat Rows 2-3 18 times. Cut yarn.
Join Colour D with a ss. Repeat Rows 2-3 18 times. Cut yarn.
Weave in all ends, and block your piece.
Heightwise, simply add or omit repeats of Rows 2-3. Lengthwise, you can add or omit 15 chains to the beginning chain. This will effectively create 1 more fan in the pattern.