The full pattern is now available in one post! Check it out here.
Hi there! It has been over a month since my last update on the sampler blanket. I enjoyed a little bit of free time in December, so I used this to put some work into the blanket once more. Do you guys know the feeling, where its like your blanket never seems to end? You’re like ‘Ooh… I’m only halfway through’ while it feels like you’ve been working on it for aaaaages. Well, I was at this point. But somehow I refound my motivation to work on the blanket and since then quite a few rows have rolled off the hook. It measures about 1 meter in width by 1.80 meters in length… Really halfway through! And miraculously, I’m right where I should be in my scheme. I skipped a few stitches that didn’t work out nicely in my design, so I figured I had to improvise at the end, as my blanket would be to short. But not to worry, I’m back on track!
So last time it looked like this. I just finished the yellow toned shell rows.
I wanted to try out the Catherine wheel. So that would be my next stitch. However, I found that the stitch was a little bit tight and not as stretchy as the other rows. The blanket became smaller after a few rows… Oh oh! It was not a counting error as I still had 240 HDCs, but simply the way the stitch is made. I couldn’t get it to clear up. So I ripped… and ripped… and ripped… and crocheted… and ripped… You catch my drift.
In the end I settled for 1 row of wheels. This row is still a little bit tight, but I’m sure it will clear up when I block the blanket afterwards. But no more Catherine wheels in this blanket, I’ve learned my lesson.
After the Catherine Wheel I proceeded with a large patch of stripes. Oh, the purple tones in those stripes! They are so easy to whip up, simple HDC after HDC, it’s a soothing rhytm really. After the stripes it was time for some relief in the blanket. Bobbles!
I found that I was not really making any bobbles with the normal method of half-finishing 4 DC’s in 1 stitch, then finishing them all together. They became squishy, no bobbles to be found. So I resorted to the other method I knew: The bobbles of the “Something pretty” pattern. They are nice and firm, not squishy at all as you can see!
In hindsight, I should have added an ‘open’ layer (like the granny rows) between the two stripey parts. But when I figured that out I was already finishing up the last bobbles… A big nope to ripping it all out again! So we’ll just file that under ‘Lesson learned’ (again).
Better late then never I added another row of Granny clusters. Blue tones alternating, 5 in total. And that’s where I am today! It’s getting really hard to make nice pictures of the entire blanket… Must try harder!
So the pattern update of today:
67: Catherine wheel in Bottle.
68: Catherine Wheel in Meadow.
69: Catherine Wheel in Meadow.
70: Catherine Wheel in Bottle.
71-72: 240 HDCs in Graphite.
73-75: 240 HDCs in Plum.
76-77: 240 HDCs in Magenta.
78: 240 HDCs in Plum.
79-80: 240 HDCs in Clematis.
81: 240 HDCs in Magenta.
82-84: 240 HDCs in Plum.
85-86: 240 HDCs in Graphite.
87: 240 HDCs in Shrimp.
88: Bobble row in Shrimp (make sure the bobbles are on the right side. Every 10th stitch is a bobble stitch, starting at the 5th from start [So 5, 15, 25, 35…]).
89: 240 HDCs in Shrimp.
90: 240 HDCs in Graphite.
91: 240 HDCs in Lipstick.
92: Bobble row in Lipstick (Every 10th stitch is a bobble stitch, starting at the 10th stitch from start).
93: 240 HDCs in Lipstick
94: 240 HDCs in Graphite.
95: 240 HDCs in Shrimp.
96: Bobble row in Shrimp (make sure the bobbles are on the right side. Every 10th stitch is a bobble stitch, starting at the 5th from start [So 5, 15, 25, 35…]).
97: 240 HDCs in Shrimp.
98: 240 HDCs in Graphite.
99-103: Granny clusters. Alternating between Turquoise and Sherbet.
104-105: 240 HDCs in Graphite.